eb0f5c1a280acd19a888e74971d4a95dd6a2052fc59a2ed9c6

Friday, September 13, 2013

Slow Cooker Ham

Do you ever crave something that usually comes in large sizes? Turkey, roast, ham are just a few that come to my mind. Well, it is just my husband and I in our place most of the time and not too long ago I wanted a ham. It also happened to be about 100 degrees the day I wanted this ham. 

The problem with all of this is that my husband and I were getting ready to go out of town, so I didn't want a bunch of left overs. Also, I really didn't want to heat up our house. The solution? Get a very small ham and cook it in the slow cooker. I hadn't cooked a ham in a slow cooker before and was excited to see how it would turn out. I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome and the little ham was just big enough for our dinner and lunch the next day. (It looks bigger than in was in these pictures.)

I didn't have a recipe to follow, so I just decided to throw some stuff together and see how it turned out. It was really good and even my very picky husband liked it. I served it with some fresh cucumbers and tomatoes from our Bountiful Basket and some gluten free macaroni and cheese, which he liked too. Amazing!




For the ham, I first lined my slow cooker with a Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners. Have you seen these? You get them in the store by the Reynolds Wrap and they sure do save on the clean up. I ran out of these not too long ago and went into a panic because I knew I would have to scrub the slow cooker. How sad is that? I really love these things! Seriously, a huge time saver. Especially when you are making something like cheese potatoes that normally would stick to the cooker. (No, they are not paying me. I just love them that much!)



After I lined the slow cooker, I added the ham, put the lid on and cooked it on low for two and a half hours. After about two hours and fifteen minutes, I mixed up a sauce of brown sugar, orange juice and honey, cooked it on the stove until the brown sugar melted and then poured it over the ham. Then I cooked it on low for another hour. That's it. So easy and so wonderful! You should try it!!




This is a great dinner any time and it is so easy. Here is the recipe. Let me know what you think. 

Slow Cooker Ham

Small ham
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp orange juice (I used Simply Orange but fresh squeezed will work too.)
3 Tbsp honey

Cook the ham in the slow cooker for 2 1/2 hours on low. Don't add anything to it.  After 2 hours and 15 minutes, mix the brown sugar, orange juice and honey in a small pan and heat until the brown sugar is melted. Pour it over the ham and continue cooking on low for one more hour. Remove the ham to a plate and let rest for 15 minutes before slicing. 





Posted by Kathleen





5 comments:

  1. I love these liners. I have not done a ham in the crock put but I will try now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, you have to do it. So easy and yummy!

      Delete
  2. I need to get those liners! Cleaning a liner can be a real chore and this would save so much time. Your ham looks so good. We love ham and would devour this in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go get the liners before you cook another meal in your slow cooker. They are so great.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe with the Less Laundry, More Linking party. I love the idea of fixing a small ham in the crock pot. I usually fix hams like this to go with Mac and cheese of Potato soup, so it would be perfect for me. #ns

    ReplyDelete